It's Saturday afternoon Oct 29, 2011. The four of us are having lunch at Noodles. It's all good. Chris starts messing around with his ear (just tugging on the lobe). Randy says he's noticed Chris doing that a lot. I replied acknowledging the same. But, whenever I asked Chris if there was something bothering his ear he would reply ... "It's just waxy." Randy and I talk a little about whether we think he should be seen. Maybe in ear infection or something when his sister just blurts out "Maybe his ear is bothering him because he had an eraser stuck in it." Randy and I look at her like she is nuts and why would she say such a thing. But, then we look at Chris. Who is looking at us like - "... I guess, maybe, there could be an eraser stuck in there." Now, Randy and I look at each other both think "You have GOT to be kidding me!" Calmly we ask Chris what the story was. He starts by saying, "In the beginning of third grade ..." (I pause here to remind you the beginning of third grade means September 1st. Today is the 29th of October.) He goes on to say he "might have stuck a pencil eraser in his ear to get the wax out". Again Randy and I look at each other in complete disbelief (but not really) and are thinking to ourselves ... not my kid. As luck would have it, an immediate care clinic is literally right next door. Randy takes Chris over while Acacia and finish up at Noodles. Five minutes later Acacia and I walk over and are taken directly to the exam room. As we walk in we here the Dr say, "Yep! I can see an eraser in there." Randy is sitting in the guest chair with his head in his hands, just shaking it back and forth in complete disbelief. The Dr tried for about fifteen minutes to get it out but Chris was screaming in pain and kept asking if he was getting a shot in his ear. OK - next step - Children's Hospital Pediatric ENT for the "foreign body unlodging". Well, this has to wait until Monday. Jumping ahead to Monday, Randy takes Chris in. They have these crazy bionic like binoculars with super great light, a camera and TVs so the parents can see what is going on in the ear. The Dr is able to get the eraser out fairly easily and Randy is thinking it's all good. But, low and behold the Dr says "Wait! There is something else in there." And proceeds to pull out a wad of paper. OK - fine. Dr gives Chris the big lecture on not putting anything smaller than your elbow in your ear and they are free to go. YEAH! Oh, and Chris has some weird tattoo on his forehead the entire time too.
![]() |
| Chris is thrilled with the attention he is getting (not). |
![]() |
| This is the "tube fairy" - as in ear tubes ... It was Halloween after all. |
Sadly, the story does not end here. November 11th (11 days later) I am at work and I get a call from the Oregon school nurse. She starts by saying "Everything is OK." Well, OK then. She goes on to tell me that she has Chris in her office and that from what she can see with her little ear scope joby thing that Chris has an eraser stuck in his ear. I literally replied (loudly) - "Are you flipping kidding me??" The nurse, not knowing that Chris just came from the hospital to have this corrected 11 days ago tried to calm me down. She went on to say she could not get it out. Sigh. I called Randy. I wish I could have told him to his face because over the phone I knew he was in more shock than I was. He for sure thought I was joking and it took me telling him everything the nurse had to say for him to believe me. He then went on to say he would be too embarrassed to take Chris to the hospital again for the same thing so soon so I would have to do it. OH - and when the nurse called me she told me that Chris VERY specifically told her NOT to call his dad ....
Chris and I walk into the hospital a few hours later only to have the same nurse come and start lecturing us again. This time it was not as easy to get out. It took a few different nurses and the Dr leaving the room several times to find "the right tool".
![]() |
| Super cool bionic binoculars |
![]() |
| Again, Chris could not be more excited ... |
He is now eraser and paper free. It's been 9 days since he's been free from this and we are hopeful that he is done putting whatever in his ear. He also now has ear dopes that are supposed to help with the itching. Although, after I took him the second time, we went back to my office so I could finish up with some work. I gave him some paper and markers to draw with and what was the first thing he did??? Stick the dang thing in his ear!! Now, whenever I walk by him I just pick up whatever I can find and try to shove it in his ear. So far, my purse will not fit and neither does my finger nail file.
Some of you have requested to see the actual items that have been pulled from his head. So, if you really want to see them ... here they are.
| Voila! Two erasers and a wad of paper. |




1 comment:
For a second I thought they dug that pen out as well. I was gonna say, "well, that's actually impressive"
Post a Comment