Saturday, April 14, 2012

Milwaukee '12

The kids had spring break just before Easter this year.  We decided to take a few days and drive to Milwaukee.  It was opening week end for the Brewers, so we decided to make a stop and get some tickets!  It was pretty cool to be there when no one was there!






After we got our tickets we decided to check out the Ecology Center.  This building was pretty cool.  It was completely constructed from recycled or left over stuff from other projects.  Like the deck outside was made up of left over wood from a pier built in New Jersey!


There was this MASSIVE aerial view puzzle we (Randy and I) put together.  It took us about 30 minutes to assemble it.  Then we tried to find where we were and the places we were going to go. 
This is me just showing you where we are on the map.  Not sure what I am doing with my other arm???


There was this little slide thing.  You had to go outside and find this little tiny door to go through.  Once through the door you were at the top of this slide.  Nothing real fancy but it kept the kids happy for a good 30+ minutes.



This is the little door.
Day two - started with a trip to the zoo.  Randy and I were really pretty impressed with this zoo.  It cost a lot to get in and they were pretty good with the nickle and dime-ing stuff but the animals were VERY active and had much larger enclosures than our free Madison zoo.


Chris was digging the shark mask.

Penguins


I forget what this is but it had a HUGE wing spam.

Even though there is a glare, this is the hyena and this dude was all over the glass here.


Cheetah = AWESOME!!


Chris was even impressed.






Hello Mr. Lion.


The tigers were also pretty darn cool.




You really get a sense for how massive they are when they start trying to take down their enclosure ....








Took a little train ride ($10) but pretty cool!







After the zoo, we went to see a movie about two women that rescue baby elephants in Africa and baby orangutans in Indonesia.  This was in an IMAX theater.  CRAZY!!













Day three - we went to the Betty Brinn Children's museum.  When we parked the car we saw this crazy structure.




This was a pretty good museum for kids.  Our kids got into most of the exhibits and we were there for several hours.  But, as we left they both said it was just a bit too kiddie for them.  When we viewed this museum on the web we read a bunch of reviews.  We were concerned as a high percentage of guests came away sick!!  Seems the museum needed to step up it's sanitizing methods a bit!  I was paranoid.  I made everyone wash their hands at every bathroom I saw and we used hand sanitizer throughout the visit.  I was happy to see staff walking around with cleaning solution wiping off various surfaces.  All the precautions paid off - no one got sick!



I liked all the outfits that really helped complete the experience.  Acacia is in deep thought trying to figure out what Chris is up to at the water filtration plant.

Then it was off to fix cars.



I do think Acacia found her calling.


They had this great little theater/stage - complete with back drops, costumes and such.  The kids were behind the curtain for at least 10 minutes while Randy and I waited for them to perform.  This was all we got.


Once we got out of the kid's museum we decide to check out that weird thing we saw from the parking garage.  Turns out it's an art museum.  It had this Chihuly piece in the lobby.  It was not labeled at all but I totally recognized his work as there is a ton of it hanging in the main lobby of the Kohl Center.




Last stop ... ball game!  What a GREAT game!  4 home runs, tons of big hits, stolen bases, double plays ... super cool.  We each had to take a kid and walk around for a bit but luckily we were in the private suite level.  Private bathrooms and vendors.  Wait staff to get you stuff if you did not want to leave your seat.  Pretty "suite" - get it???



Next stop - HOME!!

Click below to see a few videos from when we got be weather people.  I think Chris may have a career in delivering the forecast (as long as he wears pants ... and they are the right color)!

1 comment:

vkwheels said...

holy cow! I love your zoo photos! Made me want to say, "Rawr!!!!!" beautiful bird photos! The cheetah pic on his back was awesome!

Love the lab coats!!

-v